Dublin Days

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Cuppa Heaven

There's a saying that many of Ireland's invaders eventually became "more Irish than the Irish themselves." After 10 years in this country, I fit into this category on many levels, including my love of a cup of tea. The peace and quiet that descends when both children are asleep can only be celebrated properly with a nice cuppa. The ritual of the preparation fuels my addiction. The anticipation as the kettle begins to groan, the long wait while the tea steeps; these only add to the experience. Try it.

1. Boil the kettle.












2. Scald the pot with a bit of boiling water.











3. Empty out that scalding water.











4. Drop in 2 teabags. (Seriously, click and then go to "Our Ads" and click on TV Commericals. My favorite is "Well Deserved.")











5. Fill the teapot with boiling water.*











6. Let it steep. Don't skimp on this; wait at least 7 minutes.

7. Add your drop of milk. Not too much, not too little.











8. Now, fill your cup with tea.

9. Now you're ready. Fix yourself up with a banana muffin, a book and a comfortable couch, making sure that your end table with the teapot on it is nearby so you don't have to get up to get a hot sup.




This, my friends, is heaven.




*The author notes that, yes, it is difficult to pour boiling water into a teapot and take a photograph at the same time. Exercise caution if you try this at home.

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten where I come from. How could I with this mug to remind me?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was delighted when I went home last month to see that my parents have finally bought an electric kettle. (I never saw them actually use it, but hey, you gotta start somewhere!)

6:44 AM  
Blogger Bridget said...

Yes, the electric kettle is the greatest of all inventions...not just for making tea, but for all around use! How did we ever live without them?

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bridge, has it replaced coffee? I love both.
brought a tear to my eye!, but everything about you does.
thank you for being the daughter that you are.
Love always, no matter what!
Mama

3:08 PM  
Blogger kokamura said...

You are a girl after my own heart! Nothing better than a good book and a cuppa (and maybe a Kusicookie?). When the word gets out about you liking crisp sandwiches as well they'll be making you change your passport for sure. The sign of a true Paddy.
K

12:57 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh no you di 'int bust out the Flint cup...love it.

1:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home