Dublin Days

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Wet Cheerios, Pumpkin Pulp

Those of you who know me well know that I have a strong gag reflex. This may have originated as a child, when my brothers flicked soggy Cheerios so they stuck to my cheek, or during Halloween preparations in 1976, when I reached into the pumpkin pulp and had to run for a towel to gag into.

This gagging would seem to be incompatable with motherhood. But luckily it doesn't seem to be triggered by baby poop, spit up or drool. I thought I'd put it behind me, that I was free from the dry heaves!

But I've met my match with the high chair. Padraic is a messy eater, mostly because he refuses to let us feed him and will only feed himself. So mushy food gets stuck in the corners of the high chair seat...forcing me to reach in and dig it out. It's revolting...and I've resorted to using lots of paper towels so I don't have to touch any of it.

Daithi understands this problem of mine, and now helps out by cleaning the high chair when he's home for dinner. But every time he does it, he says, "You just gotta dig your fingers riiiight into the crease and get ALL that food out!" Then he produces a big wad of soggy, mushy food and puts it as close to my face as he can get.

Yes, he and my brothers get along well, if you hadn't guessed.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi this is Olivia. I miss you very much. Hello! This is Madeleine. Guess what happened! I won the district spelling bee 4 the 5th grade!! I miss you all sooo much!I have to go now. Bye!

1:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bridget, I have never had the opportunity to see this BLOG page.
Very Funny!!!!
I still tell the wet Cheerio story and always get a laugh.
Isabelle has inherited the Kildee weak stomach syndrome. She can't be anywhere near a big diaper change.
Remember when Mom was cleaning up after Dan when he was ill. She had a tea towel tied around her face and was still "pop gagging."
I'm glad to hear that Daithi gets in on the act.
Anyway, We can't wait to see all of you next month.
Talk with you soon.
Love,
Brother Mike

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home