Dublin Days

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Bulghar Pilaf with Tofu

Tofu--people either love it or hate it. Most of the people who hate it have probably had a Bad Tofu Experience, and are afraid to try it again. Here's a nice little recipe we had for dinner tonight. Frying small cubes of tofu makes it nice and crispy, and very tasty. I love bulghar because it's quick to cook and has more flavour than rice.

Bulghar Pilaf with Tofu

what you need:
1 cup bulghar wheat
2 cups vegetable stock (or water)
1/2 onion, finely diced
1 carrot, finely diced
1/4 red pepper, finely diced
one handful of fresh spinach, chopped
(and any other vegetable that's lying around, finely diced. Courgette (zucchini) would be nice)
1/2 lb medium or firm tofu, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 teaspoons tamari, or soy sauce

what to do:
Heat two tablespoons of olive oil and add the onion, carrot and pepper. Fry for 3-4 minutes, until the carrot is tender. Then add the bulghar and give it a stir. Add the vegetable stock and cover the pot. Cook for 7 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and the bulghar is tender. Add in the spinach and stir for one minute. Remove from the heat, and leave covered while you prepare the tofu.

Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a frying pan. Then add the tofu cubes, and fry for 6-7 minutes, shaking the pan periodically so that all sides of the cubes turn golden. Add the tamari or soy sauce, and give it a shake so that the tofu is coated. Remove and set on paper towel.

Serve the pilaf with tofu cubes on top (or on the side, if you're like Síofra and need to keep different types of food separate on the plate). I served this with a little tomato salad.


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds lovely. I have never had tofu but would be willing to give it a try. I eat about anything put in front of me as you know.
I am counting down the days to your arrival. While camping we plan to make "Hobo Dinners." It is a speciality of Colleen's Brad. You throw a bunch of meat and veg in foil and set it in the campfire. Delicious! I was thinking it would be nice with a portobello mushroom and veg for those who choose not to eat meat. Maybe some tofu would be nice also. For dessert we make hot pies with the pie irons. Apple, cherry, strawberry or whatever you choose. Olivia suggested pumpkin. I don't think that would be so good. What do you think?
I can't wait to see you.
Love,
Brother Mike

12:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mincemeat over the campfire?

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had more problems with meat than tofu, but it does need to be fried in a little olive oil first for me. You know- the texture thing. I LOVE tofu in hot and sour soup! Makes me hungry thinking about it. I've been trying to eat better lately so maybe I'll give your recipe a try.
I'm counting the days also, I figure you guys can bring the kids over for a swim- there is a very nice pool where I live. We'll also have to take a ride out to Lapeer, there's a great water park for little guys there.
See you soon,
Maureen

2:34 AM  
Blogger Bridget said...

Oooh, Rean, do you have a recipe for Hot and Sour Soup with tofu? That sounds so good I'd eat it for breakfast! Not sure we could cook it on a campfire, though...

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mince, Quince or Pumpkin
Mike

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home