Dublin Days

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Yes, his son's middle name IS Rolf


I have loved The Sound of Music since I was 5, when I got the record album for Christmas. I watched it religiously every year when it came on TV. And as a young adult, I even had the video. Soon, I'll be getting the film on DVD so that Síofra can share all my favourite moments: the Captain (or Georg, as I like to call him) breaking down during Edelweiss, only to have Maria join him and renew his strength and singing ability, and So Long, Farewell, with all its popping out to say Coo-Coo. And, of course, the gazebo scene, where Rolf and Liesl bench hop in the rain (though I do admit that the line "totally unprepared am I, to face a world of men" has stuck in my throat since my childhood).

My good friend Sarah (who was once serenaded to the tune of Edelweiss, but would rather forget the experience) shares my love for TSOM, and put us together with a little Bass ale and the MSU campus gazebo and a re-enactment will soon follow.

After Sarah's recent Rolf post, I was googling a picture of him to send to her, when I found this. Which leaves me with one question: Where did it all go wrong?

As much as I would have loved to have been the one to call an album "Gazebo Love," I can't help but think this is a desperate plea for a fan, preferably a stalker.

And then it got worse, when I followed this link from Daniel's website.

So go ahead, Rolf, blow that whistle, call your lieutenant, because selling Canine Hair Solutions is a crime.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG Bridget, you are so funny! Olivia is a die-hard TSOM fan :-) Until she was two, it was the only "screen time" she had, and she still watches it every few days.

We all knew Rolf was a bit of tool, huh?

12:48 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Sometimes our parallel lives freak me out...but I have been on a mission for the past month to get Lucy TSOM. I have looked everywhere...what the heck??? I thought it was a CLASSIC for god's sake!

1:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forget Rolf!

We went to a great concert at the Royal Oak Theater (in Michigan, USA) last night. It was Glen Hansard, who was really good, but I have to say, the opening act just blew me away. Damien Dempsey. Brilliant. Check out "Negative Vibes" and "Sing All Our Cares Away". This guy is amazing, maybe the best singer-songwriter I have come across in years (of course you Dubliners already know of him, but he's new to us across the ditch).

Like I said, forget TSOM and Rolf, get thee to a Damien Dempsey show...

Dan

1:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damien Dempsey is excellent! Thanks to a great mix of music Bridget sent me a couple of years ago, I'm listening to "Apple of My Eye" at this very moment. When I read brother Dan's comment, I Googled Damien Dempsey and to my surprise the the song "Apple of My Eye" was listed. Bridget, when you sent me that CD mix, I don't think that you mentioned who was singing. I have always loved that song but didn't know that it was Damien Dempsey. Wow! I am anxious to hear more.
Thanks!
Brother Mike

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home