Dublin Days

Monday, March 26, 2007

Decorate the Patch

Freak out!

We had to take Siofra to the doctor last week after her playschool teacher noticed that there was something wrong with her eye. While they were doing circle time, Siofra's right eye drifted off to the side, while the left one kept on looking at the teacher! She rubbed her eye and it went back after a few seconds. I was kind of freaked out, but as it turns out it's "not uncommon." Our doctor took a look at her but her eyes were fine and centered. As I've never noticed this before, and the teacher has only seen it once, he recommended that we just keep an eye on it for the next year. It may resolve itself, but if it becomes a regular occurance, she would wear a patch on her good eye to strengthen the muscles in the other one.

My niece Dr. Brie wore a patch when she was young, and she turned out good, so I'm feeling more reassured about it all. Her patches were stick on, and my sister had to decorate the patch with markers every morning so that it coordinated with her outfit. When I first contemplated Siofra wearing a patch, I actually thought, "Jesus Christ, am I going to have to be drawing flowers, polka dots or hearts on a frickin' patch every morning so Siofra feels positive about her eyes? I can hardly find time to get showered and sweep up the rice crispies off the floor, how am I going to manage an art project, too?"

But I guess you find time to do this stuff when you love your kids, huh?

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Kudos to that teacher for noticing that! And give yourself credit Bridget, I know you could make a super hip artsy eye patch if you had to. :)

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home