Dublin Days

Monday, February 08, 2010

Cakes

I have to agree with Sarah on her analysis of Facebook. So I'm joining her in making an effort to do some real writing and recording of our family life. People always say, "They change so quickly" and they're right-so I want to have some written snapshots of our family before this times slips away from me.

I am coming to terms that inside my feminist exterior is a hardcore homemaker. It's a box I never thought I could tick, but here I am: it's coming up on 5 p.m. and I have the dinner nearly ready, things are relatively tidy in the house, the kids are playing "school" nicely (or at least I can't hear any screams, so I'm content to leave them alone) and Ciarán is happy in his high chair chewing on something. So why not make a cake???

I really love making cake for our dessert. There's something so wholesome about making a cake from scratch that negates any guilty feelings about indulging in dessert on a weekday. Hey, it's only flour, sugar, egg, butter and milk! My favorite cake recipe comes from a cookbook I got in college from one of my fellow co-op dwellers, Floyd. It's an old school Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. The recipe is called the "Busy Day Cake," which conjures up images of a 50's housewife in her high heels and dress popping a few Valium and then whipping up one of these cakes just in time for the husband to come home. I'm wearing Converse and unless you class 2 cups of Lyons tea as illicit stimulants, I'm clean living. But this cake will be done in time for Daithí to get home, so I'm nearly there.

I was pretty excited to use my new Valentine's Day cake pan, albeit a few days early.

Busy Day Cake

1 1/3 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup margarine or butter
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine all the ingredients and mix. Pour into a greased and floured cake pan, bake at 180 C (350 F) for 25-30 minutes.

Dust with icing sugar (powdered sugar).

2 Comments:

Blogger A said...

I can so relate! I find, the more organized I am, the more I'm apt to try a new recipe. Today I actually made noodles from scratch! And, pretty yummy! It IS satisfying.

1:39 AM  
Blogger SarahD said...

Does your mother read this blog? Will she see my "analysis of facebook"? Can I bear it? I'm blushing right now.

2:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home